Monday, March 17, 2008

Man Nipples?

Jake has a habit of getting completely naked during his evening "Poop Break," which was created to make sure he "goes" -- otherwise, he'd hold it for days with predictably uncomfortable results.

Anyway, I was sitting on the stairs outside the bathroom waiting for him. Suddenly, Jake got a very puzzled look on his face and the following conversation ensued:

J: "Mommy, what is this?" (pointing to his nipple)
M: "That's called a nipple. Everyone has two."
J: "But why?"
M: "Well, mommies like me use them to feed our babies, like I feed Charlie."
J: "So can I feed a baby?"
M: "No, only mommies can. Boys like you have nipples, but they don't work. They're just for decoration." (Well, what was I supposed to say? Not even scientists agree on why men have nipples!)
J: "But why? I want to feed a baby!"
M: "Sweetie, I don't know. But everyone has them. You do, and Poppy does, and so does Daddy."
J: "No, Daddy doesn't have them."
M: "Yes, honey, he does. Girls and boys have them, just like we have noses and toes and ears -- everyone does, including your Daddy."
J: "No! Daddy doesn't!"
M: (sighing yet laughing) "Yes, trust me, your Daddy has them, too."
J: "NO! Poppy does, but Daddy doesn't!"
M: "Okay, you can check next time you see Daddy. But everyone has them, Jake."
J: "Not Daddy."

I'm not sure why Jake insists that Daddy is nipple-free, but he is going to be sadly disappointed next time he sees Daddy...

No comments: