Monday, June 25, 2007

If Only...

After being away from Jake from Tuesday through Friday, it was wonderful to come home. As much fun as he had with Poppy, he cried for me every night at bedtime...not something he's done for a long time.

After hugs and kisses, Jake and I spent the evening together hanging out--playing outside, eating popsicles, etc. We were cuddled up watching "Curious George." After each episode, they show a bunch of kids doing something related to whatever George learned about in the episode. They always preface it by saying, "Curious George is a monkey so he can do things you can't do."

I said, "Oh yeah, we can't do that." Jake says, "You can, Mommy! You can do anything you want to do!"

I wasn't sure what to say...was he spouting back some affirmation he'd heard at school? Or expressing that adults can do what they want? I figured given the context, it was the latter. "No, Jake, even Mommy has rules and things she can't do. Everyone does. And everyone has to have good behavior."

He just looked at me and sort of rolled his eyes. I guess from his perspective, adults can do whatever they want to do...if only!

No comments: