Monday, May 07, 2007

Conversations with Jake, May 1


Jake was very funny on the way to school today. He kept asking me what character his different Toy Story gummies were -- "Who dat, Mommy?" I explained to Jake that Woody is a cowboy and what a cowboy is, and that Buzz Lightyear is a spaceman, and what a spaceman is. He thought about it, and decided that he wants to be a cowboy. Then the conversation went like this:

J: "Mommy, where my horse?"
M: "You don't have a horse. You can have a pretend horse, though."
J: "Oh. Okay. But where my real horse?"
M: "You don't have a real horse, sweetie."
J: "Why? Why I no have a real horse?" (genuinely puzzled)
M: "Because you have to have lots of land to have a horse. You can't just have a big yard, you need to live out in the country, with land and a fence."
J: "We don't have a fence."
M: "No, we don't."
J: "Where *is* the country?"
M: "You know how you drive to Daddy's house, and you go past the cows in the field, with the fence? That's the country."
J: "That's the country???" (very surprised)
M: "Yes. The country has lots of land, and fences and barns for the cows and horses. Horses need land to roam on, fences and barns to be happy."
J: "Okay."

He just cracks me up. At one point, we had to wait for a school bus to pick up kids. Then the conversation went like this:

J: "Hey, that a school bus!"
M: "Yes, it's picking kids up to take them to school."
J: "My Daddy and me went on a school bus."
M: "You did? Where did you go?"
J: "To pick a pumpkin!"
M: "Wow, you went with Daddy on a school bus to pick a pumpkin with your friends. That's cool!"
J: "Yeah" (heavy sigh) "I miss Daddy."
M: "I bet he misses you, too. You will see him tomorrow, on Wednesday, though."
J: "I will?" (happy)
M: "Yes, you will. Then it will be my turn to miss you when you're gone."
J: "I miss you, too, Mommy. And I miss my Amy. And I miss my Poppy."
M: "I know, but you are so lucky to get to live with Mommy and Poppy, and go visit Daddy and Amy. Not everybody has four people to love them that much."
J: "I know." (very smug, happy look)

We also had a conversation about the seasons (we've been reading a Dora book about seasons) and he informed me that it's "ping" because the pinecone flowers are on the ground. I guess he thinks pinecones are evergreen flowers. Too funny.

No comments: